so there’s been a lot of hype on my instagram about perfecting the shellac hack and well … i think i’ve FINALLY done it!
i started out with this original recipe of hard as wraps + polish + no chip, which was alright, better than just a regular manicure with polish, but it just wasn’t good enough to satisfy me. it lasted 3-4 days before it was chipping off and not looking awesome.
well then i came across this tutorial and thought, maybe this will finally work! i still wanted to try incorporating hard as wraps because i actually was quite pleased with how much it helped my natural nails stay strong and not break off or chip.
so after a few rounds of trial and error, i believe i have finally come up with the shellac hack, perfected. here it is:
you will need:
sally hansen hard as wraps
gelous nail gel (the key to the hack)
any nail color (i used essie mint candy apple + essie muchi muchi)
any top coat (i LOVE seche vite dry fast)
and then proceed as follows:
1 coat hard as wraps
1 coat gelous
1 coat polish
1 coat gelous
1 coat polish
1 coat top coat
let each coat completely dry before moving on to the next. i wait 2-3 minutes between each coat because i usually do it after my baby’s in bed for the night and i’m watching something on my DVR. if you’re in a hurry then don’t do your nails you can probably get away with waiting about a minute between coats.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE seche vite dry fast. it really does dry super fast and i feel like it also has great shine. the tutorial i linked to above says to do another coat of gelous over your top coat and i tried that, and honestly i like it better with just the seche vite (or any top coat) as your last layer. i think my nails lasted longer.
1. does it really last: YES! here are some photos throughout my week of testing.
i noticed some very tiny chips on the edges of my nails but you could only see them if you looked really, really closely. i didn’t have any bubbling problems at all whatsoever.
2. is this the same as shellac: nope, it’s not. real shellac for sure lasts longer (a couple weeks for me) and this hack lasts me 7 solid days looking close to perfect.
3. were you just really careful for a week so that your nails wouldn’t chip: ha ha. NO. i am pretty hard on my nails and this hack took the abuse really well!
4. is this just as good as an at-home shellac system: i’m not really sure because i haven’t tried one yet. if i do, i will come back and report!
5. is it hard to remove: nope. just some good old nail polish remover will do the trick. no biggie.
6. where can i buy this stuff in-store: i bought my gelous and seche vite at sally beauty supply, and my essie polish and hard as wraps at target.
i hope this answers all your questions! if you try it out, let me know what you think!
If you love this post and want more deals, subscribe to the mint arrow daily deal email and never miss a deal!
UPDATE: i added some tips and tricks to a new post for the shellac hack perfect that you can read about here.