so there’s been a lot of hype on my instagram about perfecting the shellac hack and well … i think i’ve FINALLY done it!
i started out with this original recipe of hard as wraps + polish + no chip, which was alright, better than just a regular manicure with polish, but it just wasn’t good enough to satisfy me. it lasted 3-4 days before it was chipping off and not looking awesome.
well then i came across this tutorial and thought, maybe this will finally work! i still wanted to try incorporating hard as wraps because i actually was quite pleased with how much it helped my natural nails stay strong and not break off or chip.
so after a few rounds of trial and error, i believe i have finally come up with the shellac hack, perfected. here it is:
you will need:
sally hansen hard as wraps (i skip this step now!)
gelous nail gel (the key to the hack)
any nail color (i used essie mint candy apple + essie muchi muchi)
any top coat (i LOVE seche vite dry fast)
and then proceed as follows:
1 coat hard as wraps
1 coat gelous
1 coat polish
1 coat gelous
1 coat polish
1 coat top coat
let each coat completely dry before moving on to the next. i wait 2-3 minutes between each coat because i usually do it after my baby’s in bed for the night and i’m watching something on my DVR. if you’re in a hurry then don’t do your nails you can probably get away with waiting about a minute between coats.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE seche vite dry fast. it really does dry super fast and i feel like it also has great shine. the tutorial i linked to above says to do another coat of gelous over your top coat and i tried that, and honestly i like it better with just the seche vite (or any top coat) as your last layer. i think my nails lasted longer.
1. does it really last: YES! here are some photos throughout my week of testing.
i noticed some very tiny chips on the edges of my nails but you could only see them if you looked really, really closely. i didn’t have any bubbling problems at all whatsoever.
2. is this the same as shellac: nope, it’s not. real shellac for sure lasts longer (a couple weeks for me) and this hack lasts me 7 solid days looking close to perfect.
3. were you just really careful for a week so that your nails wouldn’t chip: ha ha. NO. i am pretty hard on my nails and this hack took the abuse really well!
4. is this just as good as an at-home shellac system: i’m not really sure because i haven’t tried one yet. if i do, i will come back and report!
5. is it hard to remove: nope. just some good old nail polish remover will do the trick. no biggie.
6. where can i buy this stuff in-store: i bought my gelous and seche vite at sally beauty supply, and my essie polish and hard as wraps at target.
i hope this answers all your questions! if you try it out, let me know what you think!
UPDATE: i added some tips and tricks to a new post for the shellac hack perfect that you can read about here.