My hair has always been long and dark until a few years ago when I started bleaching it for something different. It started with a little light balayage and then a little more bleach and a touch more blonde and then next thing I knew a couple years later, I was all but totally blonde! Around that time I saw this picture I was shook at how my hair looked! Sometimes it takes a picture to show us what we don't see in person, and my hair was in a bad way.
Today I'm going to be sharing EIGHT tips for you on getting your hair healthy, long and strong again!
When aiming for healthy hair, it's SO important to use products that include natural ingredients. The first Briogeo product I used was the Don't Despair, Repair hair mask, and everything I've tried since has been TOPS. I am SO excited that one of my favorite beauty retailers, Ulta Beauty, is now carrying the Briogeo line, making it that much easier to get my hands on it! Keep reading for tips on how I got my healthy hair back and all my favorite Briogeo products!
When founder Nancy Twine tried using some of the “clean” hair care on the market, she was disappointed in the performance of the product. Armed with a chemist and some family beauty secrets, Nancy created Briogeo: CLEAN, texture-specific haircare that really WORKS!
Briogeo is also part of Ulta Beauty's Conscious Beauty platform and is 6-Free. This means all the products are free of harsh sulfates, parabens, silicones, phthalates, artificial dyes and DEA. These ingredients are not only bad for your hair, but are hormone disrupters that can actually have an effect on your mental and physical health. I love that with Briogeo I know exactly what I'm getting in my products. The ingredient labels are what dreams are made of! They show the percentages of ingredients AND where they are sourced from so I can have peace of mind knowing that I'm using one of the best.
Lather, Rinse, Condition
I love that this Briogeo shampoo and conditioner are inspired by green-juice! And you guys, THE SMELL!! I am a sucker for a killer shampoo smell, and these products are like an extra treat for me every time I wash my hair! Plus, all the benefits your body gets from ingredients like matcha, apple and kale, your hair will enjoy as well.
My weekly hair therapy
The Don't Despair, Repair deep conditioning mask is the first Briogeo product I tried, and it set the stage for all the other products I've tried since. It is an Allure Best of Beauty award winner for 2020! In a clinical study, hair showed 75% less breakage after using this mask only 3 times! This mask not only revitalizes hair, but it also protects against future damage. It's the perfect once a week supplement to add into your hair regime!
I also recently tried the Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Kiwi superfood mask and it's just as amazing! It's also a Best of Beauty award winner, and utilizes phytonutrients like that in green juice to lock in allll the moisture! Don't think of a hair mask as something to use only once in a while. Treat yourself to a hair mask consistently and results will roll in!
Leave it in!
This leave-in conditioner is so nourishing and is chock-full of argan, rosehip AND coconut oils to really soften and protect hair against humidity. It's so important to not forget about hair products the second you step out of the shower; there are so many opportunities to give your hair extra love without adding buildup!
Tips for Strengthening Hair
For years, I've listened to different hairstylists, read articles and done my own trial and error to come up with a list of ways to strengthen my hair. Here's my tried and true ways to get healthy locks!
- HOW you wash your hair matters! When talking to a male hair stylist a few years ago, he gave me some amazing tips for effectively shampooing. To start, when washing your hair, just put the shampoo on the top of your head and really massage it in. This is where lots of product build-up is, so you want to make sure you're really getting your scalp. Once you've done that, just let the shampoo run down the rest of your hair with the shower. You don't need to focus on your ends, shampoo is actually for your scalp and roots and the runoff is enough for the rest of your hair!
- Put a really amazing conditioner or hair mask on your hair while you're in the shower and then use a wide-tooth comb and comb through it while you're still in the shower. This ensures equal distribution and prevents the inevitable breakage that happens when we haphazardly brush through our hair after the shower!
- Don't sleep with your hair wet!! So much breakage can happen if you're laying down on wet hair, and breakage is a culprit of unhealthy hair!
- Always put a protecting product in your hair, even if you're planning to air dry. Chances are you'll use some form of heat to style, so you want to make sure your hair is protected! Get in the habit of giving your hair those extra nutrients and it will thank you! Try the Briogeo Farewell Frizz blow-dry and heat protectant creme (it protects up to 450 degrees!)
- Resist the temptation to have your hair UP all the time! This is really hard for me because #4kids, but you can actually see a line of breakage where your ponytail always sits. If you do need to have your hair up more often than not, try placing it at different places. Try a top knot, low bun, regular ponytail, braids, etc. to switch it up!
- A trim is SO important! Cut your losses, literally! Your hair will keep breaking off if your ends aren't taken care of; you'll never get healthy length that way! Trims really are key, so always be prepared to take your hairdresser's advice!
- Hair masks are like therapy for your tresses. Assess your hair's current needs, and give it back what it's lacking through a hair mask. If you do one a couple times a week you WILL see an improvement over time!
- Washing my hair twice a week has been my sweet spot. Everyone's hair is different, but challenge yourself (and your hair!) to switch up your current washing regimen if it's not working for you! There's a lot of wear and tear that comes with washing and styling too much. Sometimes it takes this little change to see the difference in your hair health.
Clean haircare, proven results!
You know that feeling after you go to your hairstylist, where you could totally star in a shampoo commercial because your hair is THAT GOOD? Imagine having that every time you get out of the shower! With Briogeo, YOU CAN!!! I hope some of my hair tips have helped inspire you to take better care of your hair. Truly, healthy hair starts with good product, and Ulta Beauty houses the best of the best!