You asked and I'm answering! One thing I get asked about A LOT is my hair. In the past I've spilled the beans on everything from how to not wash your hair for a week, the best hair tools in existence and how to achieve the perfect beach wave. But we haven't talked about the basics in a while, so today we're talking all the very best shampoo and conditioner options and my FAVES!
If you're thinking this post seems familiar, you're not wrong because we talked about this a few years ago, but we've refreshed it with some new favorite shampoos and conditioners including all YOUR FAVES crowd-sourced from IG stories!!
BEST shampoo and conditioner: what I use and LOVE
- COLOR TREATED HAIR: Another great, super popular and highly rated option is Pureology. I love the way Pureology smells AND works. If you have color-treated hair, this is totally worth your pennies to be good to your locks! I feel like this is a tried-and-true staple that's been a best-seller as long as I've been paying attention to what I wash my hair with.
- CHARCOAL CLARIFYING: Looking for something with charcoal to really strip all those layers and layers AND LAYERS of dry shampoo, volumizing spray, hairspray and whatever else is building up in your hair? Drybar's On the Rocks shampoo and conditioner is about to be your new bestie!! I use this combo at least once a month to kind of hit the reset button on my hair and get it squeaky, squeaky clean and get out all my product buildup. Plus everything from Drybar smells AMAZING.
- PURPLE SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER: If you're any degree of blonde, you know all about purple shampoo and the real life struggle to find a really good one. Matrix Total Brass Off is AWESOME if you have blonde in your hair, it's just a really gentle way to maintain the perfect blonde. I also have a favorite purple conditioner! Did you know that was a thing? Give this Evo Fabuloso 3 minutes and you'll have the perfect, cool blonde of your dreams. Just be careful – anything over 3 mins could ruin your pretty color.
- CLEAN HAIR CARE: Briogeo is CLEAN, texture-specific hair care that really WORKS! All the products are free of harsh sulfates, parabens, silicones, phthalates, artificial dyes and DEA. These ingredients are not only bad for your hair, but are hormone disrupters that can actually have an effect on your mental and physical health. I love that with Briogeo I know exactly what I'm getting in my products. The ingredient labels are what dreams are made of! They show the percentages of ingredients AND where they are sourced from so I can have peace of mind knowing that I'm using one of the best.
- FOR PROFESSIONALLY SOFT HAIR: I once asked my stylist why my hair feels so much softer after getting my hair done professionally than after washing and styling it myself. Wanna know what her answer was?! It’s all in the products you use! This Bumble & Bumble thickening shampoo and conditioner specifically gave me that ultra-soft, salon-feeling in my hair (and volume!).
- DRUGSTORE: Looking for a more budget friendly option? I highly recommend Nexxus' Oil Infinite shampoo and conditioner. I wrote about it back in this post but I'm still in love to this day and keep it stocked in my house! Makes your hair silky and comes with a super affordable price tag. I also still love Pantene – a drugstore line I've loved for years and years! Read more about why I love their stuff here.
26 recommendations from my readers
One of my favorite, favorite things about Instagram stories is getting input from YOU guys on the best products to try! To refresh this post, we asked everyone on Instagram which shampoos and conditioners were the best and these are the top 26 that were recommended by everyone, all linked so you can browse and find your perfect shampoo soul mate!
1. Pureology Hydrate
2. Redken All Soft Shampoo & Conditioner
4. Kevin Murphy
6. Davines Oi
7. Bumble and Bumble
8. Pureology Purple Shampoo
9. Biolage Color Care
11. Kirkland Moisture
12. Living Proof
14. Navy Hair Care
15. Beauty Counter
16. Moroccan Oil Shampoo
21. Alterna Caviar
24. AHAVA Mineral
26. Matrix Biolage Scalp Sync