i really am terrible at many things, including but not limited to: sewing, crafting, DIYing, painting (all the artistic stuff), oh and science, math, especially calculus. ALL not my thing. but you know what is? cooking. i LOVE TO COOK. i think it's in my blood. thanks to my amazing mother (who by the way blogs at a bountiful kitchen). she really taught me everything, no seriously, everything i know about cooking. she helped me learn that cooking from scratch can be simple. not complicated. not intimidating. that we should use the fresh and real ingredients around us on this earth to create beautiful, delicious things to eat. that family and food are some of the only things that really matter in this life 😉
i love that my mom taught me that if someone's sad or lonely or needs a friend, a visit is all they need. but if you can, a visit with food is even better. i love that she taught me that making time to feed your family dinner together every night might be the most important thing you do all day. i heard this yesterday in church and it resounded so deeply with me. no matter your religion, if you're a mother, i believe this applies to you and to me. “motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. you do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. it is not something you do if you can squeeze the time in. it is what god gave you time for.” – neil l. andersen.
so today, in honor of my mother who loves to cook! and mothers everywhere who love creating something wonderful in the kitchen, i bring to you: my mother's day gift guide for the kitchen lover. but really, all of these gifts are a win for any mom. because even moms who don't love to cook still have to. might as well make their life easier!
as always, ALL of the items below were searched out for the BEST price possible.
1. wusthof gourmet 2-piece paring & santoku knife set
$122 $59.95: every mama deserves a GOOD knife. no, not a ginzo. one that really cuts beautifully. i'd rather have ONE good knife than 20 bad ones. i have these two and they are amazing! $60 is also a fantastic price for both (on sale today only).
2. all-clad stainless-steel measuring cups & spoons $20-50: love these as a gift. i have this, have gifted it, and it's always a huge hit. every mom uses measuring cups (even moms who only make hamburger helper and mac & cheese!). these are a guaranteed win. get the spoons for $20, the cups for $40, or both for $50.
3. zyliss magiCan can opener $9.99: this can opener will change your life. it completely removes the top so that the top doesn't slither back into the contents of the can once it's open (gross). and it stays on the opener until you remove it into the garbage can. it's the best $10 you'll ever spend.
4. microplane rasp grater $12.48: best price out there for this grater that is a kitchen staple. it's amazing for zesting citrus, shaving parmesan, or even for chocolate! i use mine almost daily.
5. kitchenaid classic plus stand mixer $183.99: if your mom doesn't have one of these yet, she deserves it! i spent all morning searching for the best price on a kitchen aid and trust me, this is it. under $200 for a kitchen aid anytime is always a good deal but this is unbeatable. if you're a husband reading this, go ahead and spend the money. if you're a kid, get some siblings together and go in on this. your mom will be thrilled!
6. blendtec total blender classic certified refurbished $279.95: this is the ultimate spoil your mom or wife on mother's day gift, and the best thing i can possibly think of for simplifying your life in the kitchen! i have literally used mine hundreds of times and i have this same refurbished model. it comes with a 7 year warranty and i promise it is the very best price out there for a blendtec, and i also promise it's worth every penny! green smoothies, soups, shakes, dressings, homemade baby food, you name it, it's simplified right here.