In 2018, the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Russell M. Nelson, gave a talk entitled “the correct name of the church” in which he pleaded with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to call the church by the correct name, and not embrace the nickname that was given to our church long ago. This was a correction that spoke directly to my heart.
In today’s podcast, I’m going to share why both Neil and I feel so passionately about this correction and why we’ve worked really hard to make this change in our conversations both in public and in private settings. What once was a nickname embraced by our church even, “Mormons,” is something we now really try hard to not use anymore so that others will know what we are truly all about.
Whether you’re a member of our church or not, I hope you listen to this episode and find a greater understanding of why this is actually such a big deal to us. There's something about being willing to defend the Savior and being willing to make that subtle correction with gentleness, kindness, and grace. There's a reason everything is done in the name of Jesus Christ – and that's where the power comes from as well as the healing and hope.
We also talk about the promises, blessings, and good things that come from making the effort to restore the correct name of the Lord's church.
In this episode, you will hear:
- A call to openness and making sure things are done properly just like how people are now correcting the way they classify different races and different ethnic groups
- Why calling the church by the correct name is a big deal to the church and to us, personally
- The negative connotation of the label “Mormon” and how it stemmed from
- The church is called The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and not just The Church of Jesus Christ to make that distinction between when
- Christ initially formed that church and to when it was restored to the earth in the latter days.
- Saying the name properly and slowly in a way that gives reverence because we are speaking Christ’s name, instead of just spitting it out
- Thoughts on the church’s nicknames: To remove the Lord's name from the Lord's church is a major victory for Satan. He gets people to do little things that seem like no big deal.
- Jesus Christ is the center of everything we do and believe. He is the central part of the Book of Mormon. His name is on our buildings and His name appears bigger on our logo.
- How making a conscious effort to recognize the Atonement of Jesus Christ in our meetings has created this ripple effect
- The 12-Step Program is a step-by-step way to utilize the Atonement of Jesus Christ and making Jesus Christ the focus of it and the core solution in recovery.
- Why we called it The Book of Mormon – We’re not the followers of Mormon. We’re followers of Jesus Christ.
- The blessings we’ve seen from saying Jesus Christ’s name with reverence and standing up for him even in the name by which his church is called
- Calling our church by the correct name in a way I want to be associated with being a Christian and with being a disciple of Jesus Christ changes everything for me.
Talk by Russell M. Nelson “The Correct Name of the Church”
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to our podcast? We’d love for you to subscribe if you haven’t yet. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
Produced by Emerald City Productions