i got a fun question over the weekend from one of my readers on instagram after i posted this pic that i figured would make a great little post!
shalise asked, “any tips from what you use? … favorite hair products?! do you use a shampoo you love or is there a secret haha?! i love your hair and i'm trying to grow it out but it's in this phase of not wanting to grow anymore. thought i'd check if you have a beauty tip or maybe it's your lucky genes :)”
so, first of all shalise, thanks for the compliment! i think i am lucky with good hair, and i've pretty much always had long hair! but i was just having this discussion with my hair girl tara, a couple weeks ago when she chopped my bangs (which i am LOVING by the way!!) about tips for getting your hair to grow out.
tara, who is actually a professional (and i am not, admittedly!) shared with me that the key to getting your hair to grow out is to get regular trims! i know that sounds totally backwards, but if you don't your hair will just keep breaking off at the ends. getting regular trims will allow it to keep growing out healthily.
now for my not-so-professional tips. i am for sure a million percent NOT an expert, but i am obsessed with hair products and have tried out lots and lots and lots. so, here are some of my tips!
*disclaimer: i've never colored my hair so none of these are color-treated hair products, sorry!
1. dry shampoo: i only wash my hair every few days. like 3-4 days. (sorry mom!!) i know some people are so grossed out by this. but i do dry shampoo! first of all, it's just WAY easier and less maintenance. second, my hair “behaves” better. like if i want it to hold a curl, stay up in a top knot, etc., it just does it better when it's dirty. my favorite dry shampoo is Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Volumizing and Texturizing Powder and this is the cheapest way to buy it. it's my “splurge” in this category but you can hardly call it that at $9.41 (current price) and you won't find it for a better deal than amazon. also, one of my best tips is to use the powder the day you wash your hair! it almost acts as a preventative dry shampoo, does that make sense? it kind of gives the grease a place to go. also, it gives you volume when your hair is all slippery and clean! save: Dove Invigorating Dry Shampoo. i actually just tried this stuff out and i'm loving it! it works great and it smells very fresh and yummy. $3.94 shipped (current price) or available at most drugstores for about the same. also featured in vogue's 16 waterless shampoos to try now.
2. shampoo: traditionally, my splurge pick Biolage by Matrix Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo has always been my favorite shampoo. it smells amazing and works SO well in my hair. it's not outrageously expensive but not super cheap either at $20.55 (current amazon price). lately i've been using CLEAR SCALP & HAIR BEAUTY Strong Lengths Nourishing Shampoo (my save) and i am LOVING it. it's super inexpensive at $4.98 (current amazon price) and it has been one of the only products that has helped with the super dry scalp that i got after getting pregnant and having a baby! i live in the desert so it's extra dry here, and having a shampoo that helps moisturize my scalp and hair is super important to me. and this one gets it done.
3. conditioner: my splurge is Sleek.look by Matrix Smoothing System 2 Conditioner and isn't too crazy expensive at $25.50 (current amazon price). this stuff will smooth out the rattiest hair, and i mean you can have the worst rat's nest of your life and this stuff will get it all smooth again. when i got married and had my hair done, or when i was in pageants (yes a LONG time ago) and i knew my hair would be a nightmare to brush out, this conditioner was my saving grace. my save i'm just as passionate about! i really LOVE Pantene Pro-V Smooth Conditioner. i SWEAR that when i use this conditioner, my hair feels like that just-got-it-washed-at-the-salon feeling! it functions amazingly and its price is even better. $8.99 for a 33 fl oz.
4. hairspray: don't we all love a good hairspray! i have tried (i swear) a million hairsprays, and my favorite of all time is TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece Massive Shine Hairspray. it smells incredible, works SUPER well, and adds shine! what more could a girl want? it's barely a splurge at $9.99 (current amazon price, it's more like $16 in the drugstore). for a save, the best i've used is JOHN FRIEDA Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hold Spray. i actually like this even more when i travel somewhere really humid (mexico, the caribbean, hawaii, etc.) because it does SO well with combating humidity. and it's super cheap at $5.37 (current amazon price).
5. hair paste: for my bangs, i need something that will kind of give them a little texture without weighing them down. i am completely obsessed with Kevin Murphy sticky Business, medium hold that my girl tara suggested when i got my latest bangs. this stuff is perfect. not greasy, but perfect for giving my bangs some piece-y shape. does that even make sense? ha. i also love it for the tiny fly-aways on top of my head. a little goes a long way 😉 since this stuff is a bit of a splurge at $23.20 (current amazon price), i also like L'Oreal Paris Studio Line Overworked Hair Putty. it's a steal at $4.55 (current amazon price) and did you know that the same people who make this (l'oreal) make pureology? yep.
6. styling product: i don't even know what to call/categorize this, but i live for my Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment. i use it when my hair's wet before i blow-dry. it protects my hair from heat damage and makes it SO soft and shiny! this stuff will seriously change your life. and i know it's not cheap (about $40) but i promise it's WORTH IT. it will last you a really, really long time. because you only need a drop or two even if you have a ridiculous amount of hair like me! i also use a drop or two before i curl my hair and it helps shape the curl and make everything come out smoother. i'm going to be honest, this is the one product i have not tried myself but it gets amazing reviews on amazon and if $40 just isn't in your budget, this Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Moroccan Argan Styling Oil may be worth a try! only $5.98 (current amazon price) so it's a major save.
i hope these suggestions, recommendations and tips help you guys! if you have any questions, as always, feel free to ask. i love feedback and love chatting with readers!